The history of the development and the importance of the textile industry in our town essentially started in the second half of the 18th century. David Friedrich Oehler (1725 – 1797), who was born and lived in Crimmitschau, significantly influenced this development, which was called “the blooming of the cloth maker town, Crimmitschau”. So the city developed into a stronghold of the cloth production as well as the textile mechanical engineering. As the “Town of the 100 chimneys” Crimmitschau became known as “Saxonian Manchester” all over Europe. After 1990 there was a complete breakdown of these economic structures with more than 4.000 employees – a profound change.