Economy in Crimmitschau - Mix of a traditional and modern spirit
The history of the development and the importance of the textile industry in our town essentially started in the second half of the 18th century. David Friedrich Oehler (1725 – 1797), who was born and lived in Crimmitschau, significantly influenced this development, which was called “the blooming of the cloth maker town, Crimmitschau”. So the city developed into a stronghold of the cloth production as well as the textile mechanical engineering. As the “Town of the 100 chimneys” Crimmitschau became known as “Saxonian Manchester” all over Europe. After 1990 there was a complete breakdown of these economic structures with more than 4.000 employees – a profound change.
Today Crimmitschau presents itself as an attractive and friendly town – a rising industrial location with interesting local conditions and well balanced lines of business.
With much vigour and far – sightedness
Optimal basic conditions for the settlement of new branches of industry were created. So in 1991 an industrial estate of 70 ha developed outside the town.
Renowned firms of metal and automobile industrial suppliers have primarily decided in favour of Crimmitschau as well as trade and service companies and commerce. They profit from the nearby VW plant Mosel in Zwickau but also from the favourable connections to BMW and Porsche in Leipzig.
To provide suitable expansion for prospective investors the industrial estate has been enlarged by another 16 ha. Furthermore areas are being created for new settlement by revitalising former industrial land in the town centre.